Trinity Methodist

This post appears in the following categories:


This was formerly a United Methodist society, and before 1907 the United Methodist Free Church. The society worshipped at a
church in Tyne Street which had been built in 1860.  In time this building became too small and a new church was built, completed in 1899, at the junction of Shibdon Road and Lucy Street, the old premises closed the same year. In 1944 meetings of the three Methodist churches in Blaydon (Lucy St., Albert St.( Primitive Methodist) and St. John’s) took place and it was decided that they should amalgamate. The
premises in Lucy St. were retained for worshipped, to be known as Trinity Methodist Church, while Albert St. was to be sold and St. John’s retained as a Sunday School and for social purposes.

The church was initially part of Newcastle upon Tyne’s Gloucester Road, United Methodist Circuit and following re-organisation of the
Gateshead Methodist Circuits in 1935 it became part of the new Gateshead West Methodist Circuit and then from 1961 part of Blaydon Methodist Circuit. In 1995 Blaydon Methodist Circuit amalgamated with Gateshead South West Methodist Circuit and the society joined the resulting South West Tyneside Methodist Circuit.

Church records 1863-1981 are kept at Tyne & Wear Archives.

Ref: Tyne & Wear Archives, Newcastle upon Tyne